Verses that inspire us to thank God!
An attitude of thankfulness is something we are encouraged to cultivate. In times of delight or despair, scripture challenges us to give thanks in all circumstances for that is God’s will for us in Jesus Christ.
A heart full of gratitude for what Jesus has done helps us focus on Him as we run the race before us. A grateful heart helps us endure difficulties in this fallen world as well as keep our eyes firmly fixed on the next. While the apostle Paul was in prison, he wrote letters thanking God for the faith of others. Even in chains, Paul’s heart was full of joy and gratitude as he thanked God for their perseverance, care for each other, partnership in the gospel and more.
Thank God that He is good in all circumstances. Thank God that He is our rock in times of trouble. Thank God that He is our loving Father who blesses us with times of joy.
Praise God that Christians can thank God for so much! Will you join us as we give thanks to our God with these Bible verses?
All of these thankful Bible verses are taken from the NIV version of the Bible.
Thankfulness scriptures that call us to worship
“Thank you God for this glorious day!” It’s difficult to say with enthusiasm when times are challenging. But even during our toughest days, there are moments, however small, for which we can be grateful.
The Lord, our God and King, is with us through every heartbreak and every joy. He is the author and perfecter of our faith and promises to work for the good of those who love Him.
Here are five Bible verses that can inspire us to give thanks to the Lord:
• John 3:16 “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”
• Romans 8:28 “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.”
• James 1:17 “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.”
• Psalm 107:8-9 “Let them give thanks to the Lord for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for mankind, for he satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things.”
• Isaiah 40:30-31 “Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.”
Psalm 145: A psalm of thanksgiving
The following is a beautiful psalm of thanksgiving. Written by David in praise to God, it shows how a grateful heart can focus on God’s goodness. Here are some verses from Psalm 145 to encourage you today.
Psalm 145: 1-3 A psalm of praise. Of David.
“I will exalt you, my God the King;
I will praise your name for ever and ever.
Every day I will praise you
and extol your name for ever and ever.
“Great is the Lord and most worthy of praise;
his greatness no one can fathom.”
Psalm 145: 8-10
“The Lord is gracious and compassionate,
slow to anger and rich in love.
“The Lord is good to all;
he has compassion on all he has made.
All your works praise you, Lord;
your faithful people extol you.”
“My mouth will speak in praise of the Lord.
Let every creature praise his holy name
for ever and ever.”
Thankfulness in Old Testament scriptures
Throughout the Old Testament we can see God’s faithfulness to His people time and again. Here are five instances in the Old Testament where His people turned to give a prayer of thanks to God.
Exodus 15: 2: Miriam’s song when the Israelites are rescued from pharaoh’s army
“The Lord is my strength and my defence; he has become my salvation. He is my God, and I will praise him, my father’s God, and I will exalt him.”
Deuteronomy 32: 3-4: Moses’ last song to the Israelites as they are about to enter the promised land
“I will proclaim the name of the Lord. Oh, praise the greatness of our God! He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he.”
1 Kings 8: 56: When Solomon brings the ark to the temple in Jerusalem
“Praise be to the Lord, who has given rest to his people Israel just as he promised. Not one word has failed of all the good promises he gave through his servant Moses.”
Daniel 2: 23: When God reveals the mystery of Nebuchadnezzar’s dream to Daniel
“I thank and praise you, God of my ancestors: You have given me wisdom and power, you have made known to me what we asked of you, you have made known to us the dream of the king.”
Ezra 3: 11: When work starts on God’s temple after it was destroyed
“With praise and thanksgiving they sang to the Lord: “He is good; his love toward Israel endures forever.” And all the people gave a great shout of praise to the Lord, because the foundation of the house of the Lord was laid.”
Reasons to give thanks to the Lord: inspiration from the New Testament
The New Testament is full of verses about thankfulness. From Jesus thanking His Heavenly Father to Paul’s deep gratitude to God, thankful Bible verses in the New Testament encourage us to praise God in all circumstances. Here are five passages that help us say “Thank you God!”
• Colossians 3:16 “Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts.”
• Hebrews 12:28 “Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe.”
• 2 Corinthians 9:11 “You will be enriched in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.”
• Philippians 4:6 “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.”
• Philemon 1:4-5 “I always thank my God as I remember you in my prayers, because I hear about your love for all his holy people and your faith in the Lord Jesus.”
A prayer of thanks to God
Bible verses about giving thanks to God show His goodness and mercy in times of plenty and in times of want. He is our sovereign Lord who richly provides us with everything. It is only fitting to give Him praise!
A prayer to thank God for who He Is:
“Thank you Father that you are the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords. We praise you for your greatness and majesty. We thank you that you are the eternal, everlasting God. Amen”
A prayer to thank God for what He has done for us.
“Thank you loving God for sending your one and only Son for us. Thank you for the sacrifice you made to bring us peace here on earth and hope eternal. Amen”
A prayer to thank God for being our Father:
“Thank you Lord that you are our perfect Heavenly Father. We thank you that every good gift comes from you. Thank you for the gift of your grace. Amen”
Being thankful is something Compassion sponsored children know all too well. Empowered by His people and encouraged by His word, many Compassion sponsored children can teach us how to thank God.
Here are some heartfelt quotes about blessings from God and responses full of gratitude from children around the world. Learn more about how you can sponsor a child and bring a child lasting hope and thankfulness!
Mousumi, 10 years old, Bangladesh
“God … thank you for looking over us. Thank you for every grain of food that you have given me in my plate to eat. Thank you for the clothes you’ve given us to wear, the school you’ve given us to study in and the project that you’ve given us where we learn to draw, dance, sing and play…God, please bring my sponsor so that I can run to her and give her a big hug to thank her for supporting me. Please help her to always have a big smile and make people happy around her.”
Providence, 18 years old, Rwanda
“Every time I remember our struggle whenever it rained, I kneel and thank God. I always pray for my sponsor, because God used her to be the answer to our prayers as a family. She has helped us regain our dignity in the community. We are no longer the talk of the village because now, we have a good house.”
Alison, 8 years old, Guatemala
“I like to pray. When I close my eyes, I feel how God sees me and pays attention to what I’m saying. In the moments of trouble, prayer brings peace to my heart, and the moments of gratitude He brings joy.”
Elvis, 9 years old, Bolivia
“I read my Bible at home and I also pray at night. I pray for my Compassion sponsor and my dad… I prayed that my dad would receive Jesus in his heart, and that happened.”
Thank you verses in the Bible
The importance of giving thanks to God, praising Him and rejoicing in Him is all through the scriptures. Bible verses on thanksgiving encourage us to keep thanking God in prayer in all circumstances. Here are some reasons why.
• 1 Timothy 4:4-5 For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.
• Jonah 2:9 But I, with shouts of grateful praise, will sacrifice to you. What I have vowed I will make good. I will say, “Salvation comes from the Lord.”
• 1 Chronicles 16:23-24 Sing to the Lord, all the earth; proclaim his salvation day after day. Declare his glory among the nations, his marvellous deeds among all peoples.
• Psalm 95:1-3 Oh come, let us sing to the Lord; let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation. Let us come before him with thanksgiving and extol him with music and song. For the Lord is the great God, the great King above all gods.
• Ephesians 1: 16-17 I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers. I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better.
Bible stories to inspire us to say ‘Thank you Lord’
Thanks be to God for He is good! There are many people in the Bible who did not fail to express their gratitude. Here are five stories that remind us to say thank you God for everything.
Daniel 6: 10: Daniel gives thanks despite the cost
Rejoice in the Lord always. Daniel knew King Nebuchadnezzar’s decree. He knew his life would be in danger if he continued to pray to anyone but the king. Yet he still chose to give thanks to God.
Luke 1: 46-49 Mary’s gratitude for Jesus
Sometimes the blessings God gives us may not feel like blessings at all. Yet it is still important to give thanks to the Lord.
Pregnant. Unmarried. Virgin. Mary knew full well the difficulties of her situation, but that did not stop her from rejoicing in the news.
Luke 17:12-19 The healed leper who came back to thank Jesus
It is important to express our gratitude as well as feel it. When Jesus healed ten lepers, only one of them came back praising God. A hated Samaritan man no less! Jesus confirmed his faith made him well.
Luke 7: 44–50 The woman who washes Jesus’ feet and pours perfume on him
Who can forget the moment when the sinful woman enters a respectful dinner to wash Jesus’ feet with her tears and dry them with her hair? She then proceeds to pour perfume on him. Not a single expensive drop was spared.
It scandalised the guests, but Jesus could see her thankfulness to God through her lavish generosity. Her sins were great, but they were all forgiven.
Jesus gives thanks to God
Finally, there are four instances in the gospels where Jesus himself gives thanks to His Heavenly Father.
As Jesus is about to feed the hungry crowds He gives thanks to God for the food. (John 6: 11)
Jesus thanks God that the mysteries of the kingdom of God are hidden from the “wise” and are revealed instead to “little children”. (Luke 10:21)
After telling people to open the tomb and before raising Lazarus from the dead, Jesus thanks God for hearing Him. Jesus says He is praying for the benefit of others so they may believe God the Father sent Him. (John 11: 41-42)
The night Jesus is betrayed, Jesus gives thanks for the bread and wine and shares it with his disciples. The bread and the wine are symbols of His body that was about to be broken and His blood about to be shed. (Matthew 26: 26-29)
If you enjoyed these thankful Bible verses, you may also be interested in:
• Revisiting God’s promises is a way to remind us of how many blessings we have to be thankful to God for.
• We invite you to download our free prayer journal templates as a way to remind you daily of your favourite Bible verses to thank God for.
• These encouraging Bible verses also give us many reasons to be thankful to God.