Bible quotes about love
We’ve gathered together 40 of our favourite Bible verses about love. Take time to reflect on the Bible’s inspiring truth about God’s love and our call to love others.
Whether you’re searching for scriptures about God’s sacrificial love, Bible verses about loving your enemies or verses on love within marriage, let our collection remind you that:
- God loves you
- God’s love is unconditional
- God’s love is revealed to us in Jesus
- God calls us to love our enemies
- God’s love inspires us to love our neighbours with compassion!
If these scriptures about love have inspired you, then check out our collections on Bible verses about Giving.
All of these uplifting Bible verses about love are taken from the NIV version of the Bible.
Bible verses about love for Valentine’s Day
The history of Valentine’s Day, or Saint Valentine’s Day, is shrouded in mystery. Some sources claim it began as a Christian feast day honouring one or more saints named Valentinus. If you’re sending a Valentine’s Day card this year, why not include a Bible verse to remind your loved one that God’s love is everlasting and unchangeable.
- 1 Chronicles 16:34 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever.
- Deuteronomy 7:9 Know therefore that the Lord your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commandments.
- Jeremiah 31:3 I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing kindness.
- Exodus 34:6 And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, “The Lord, the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness.
- Romans 8:35-39 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written: “For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.” No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
These scriptures speak of God’s agape love. The love of God is so great that He sent His one and only son for each one of us! Take time to meditate on God’s sacrificial love today and let these Bible verses about love bring you peace and perspective.
- 1 John 4:16-18 And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them. This is how love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment: In this world we are like Jesus. There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
- John 15:9-10 As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love.
- Zephaniah 3:17 The Lord your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves. He will take great delight in you; in his love he will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing.”
- Romans 8:37-39 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- 1 John 3:1 See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!
- 1 Peter 5:6-7 Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
At Compassion, God’s love is our motivation for releasing children from poverty. Child sponsorship is a powerful demonstration of God’s love to a child in need.
When you sponsor a child you empower them to overcome poverty. You show a child born into extreme fragility that they’re known and valued.
Bible Verses about love for others
Hilda from Peru was sponsored with Compassion as a child.
“One of my neighbours told me about Compassion at my local church. I was sponsored through Compassion and started to go to the project every week. I was fed there and learnt how to take care of myself. I learnt I was special and that God loved me. My sponsor wrote me letters, they loved me so much even though we never met in person … All I can say is thank you so much for your love which showed me God’s love.”
- 1 John 4:19 We love because he first loved us.
- 1 John 4:8 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.
- John 15:12-13 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.
- 1 Peter 4:8 Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.
- 1 Corinthians 16:14 Do everything in love.
- Colossians 3:14 Above all, be loving. This ties everything together perfectly.
- Ephesians 4:2-3 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.
Love your enemies Bible verses
The Bible asks us to follow in Christ’s footsteps and love our enemies. At times loving and forgiving our enemies can seem like an impossible thing to do, but God gives us the example of Jesus and His Holy Spirit to help us. Let these Bible verses about loving your enemies spur you on.
- 1 John 4:21 And he has given us this command: Anyone who loves God must also love their brother and sister.”
- Luke 6:35 But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked.
- Luke 6:27-31 But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you.
- 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonour others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.
What does the Bible say about marriage and love?
These encouraging verses are often used as Bible readings for weddings or when couples renew their vows. The Bible is full of teaching about love, courtship and marriage. It contains so many truths we can use to encourage others on occasions, whether Bible verses for weddings or Bible verses for birthdays for instance.
- Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labour.
- Ephesians 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her.
- Genesis 2:24 That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.
- Mark 10:9 Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.
- Ephesians 5:25-33 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church— for we are members of his body. “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.” This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church. However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.
Poverty can seem overwhelming, the injustice of it too vast. But sponsoring a child is a great way to start and bring God’s justice to one child in poverty.
Bible verses about love and care for the poor
The Bible is overflowing with verses about caring for the poor – it’s a cause so close to God’s heart. God’s heart for justice is the motivation for everything we do at Compassion. These Bible verses are a reminder to care for the poor, to defend the cause of the vulnerable and to speak up for those who are denied a voice.
- Micah 6:8 He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.
- Deuteronomy 10:18 He defends the cause of the fatherless and the widow, and loves the foreigner residing among you, giving them food and clothing.
- Psalm 9:18 But God will never forget the needy; the hope of the afflicted will never perish.
- Matthew 25:35-40 ‘For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.” Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’ “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
Bible verses about love in the Psalms
If you want to reflect afresh on God’s love, the Psalms are great place to look. There are too many inspiring scriptures in the Psalms to name – here are just a few that speak of the depths of God’s amazing love:
- Psalm 136:26 Give thanks to the God of heaven. His love endures forever.
- Psalm 86:15 But you, Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God,
slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness.
- Psalm 36:5-6 Your love, Lord, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies. Your righteousness is like the highest mountains, your justice like the great deep.
- Psalm 107:8-9 Let them give thanks to the Lord for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for mankind, for he satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things.
- Psalm 147:3 He heals the broken-hearted and binds up their wounds.
- Psalm 52:8 But I am like an olive tree flourishing in the house of God; I trust in God’s unfailing love for ever and ever.
- Psalm 23:6 Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
- Psalm 51:1 Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions.
Christian quotes about love
As well as encouraging Bible verses, these Christian quotes can also help us reflect on God’s love. Why not share one of these inspirational Christian quotes and bring encouragement to someone who needs it today.
- “God loves us too much to indulge our every whim.” Max Lucado
- “God loves each of us as if there were only one of us.” Augustine
- “Though our feelings come and go, God’s love for us does not.” CS Lewis
- “God proved His love on the cross. When Christ hung, and bled, and died, it was God saying to the world, ‘I love you.” Billy Graham
- “God is love. He didn’t need us. But he wanted us. And that is the most amazing thing.” Rick Warren
- “Christians, you are to love one another, not because of the gain which you get from one another, but rather because of the good you can do one another.” Charles H. Spurgeon
- “Let us always meet each other with a smile, for the smile is the beginning of love.” Mother Teresa
- We’d love you to share these Bible verses about love with others. Encourage a friend today by sharing via email or on social media.
If you’ve enjoyed these Bible verses about love, you may also like:
- Bible verses about children
- Father’s Day Bible verses
- Bible verses for Christmas cards
- Easter Bible verses
- Encouraging Bible verses
- Psalm 23: The Lord is my Shepherd
- Bible verses on forgiveness to bring you peace
- Naomi Scott: Meet the Woman Behind the Big Screen & Discover Why She’s Empowering Girls Worldwide
Sources: Bible Gateway