Words of encouragement from the Bible
God has given us the gift of His word which provides us with encouraging Bible verses. The Bible passages below will offer inspiration for each day and provide comfort, strength and encouragement to cope with life’s challenges.
Why not use these verses to bless and inspire others?
Our encouraging Bible verses and inspirational Bible quotes are taken from the NIV version of the Bible.
Encouraging Bible verses
If you’re feeling overwhelmed and need some encouragement, these Bible verses will give you courage and confidence. Why not meditate on these Scriptures throughout the day and share them with your friends?
- 1 Thessalonians 2:11-12 “For you know that we dealt with each of you as a father deals with his own children, encouraging, comforting and urging you to live lives worthy of God, who calls you into his kingdom and glory.”
- Mark 10:27 “Jesus looked at them and said, ‘With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God.’”
- Philippians 1:6 “…being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.”
- Psalm 37:23-24 “The LORD makes firm the steps of the one who delights in him; though he may stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with his hand.”
- Hebrews 10:24-25 “And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.”
- Luke 12:32 “Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom.”
Inspirational Bible verses
People will be inspired by different things, but we can agree that God Himself is our inspirational source because He is the basis for everything good and everything worth imitating. These inspirational Bible quotes can bring you guidance when times are tough.
- Philippians 4:7 “And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
- Deuteronomy 31:6 “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”
- 2 Corinthians 5:7 “For we live by faith, not by sight.”
- Psalm 23: 5-6 “You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.”
- 1 Timothy 6:12 “Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses.”
- 1 John 4:4 “You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.”
Bible verses about strength
When you’re feeling weak, where do you turn for strength? Kenia has been in a race against poverty, illiteracy, failure and neglect her whole life. She and her two brothers were cared for by their grandmother in a slum in the Philippines.
But Kenia became part of Compassion’s child development programme and, thanks to her sponsor, she found that life might offer a different path. Today, aged 17, Kenia draws strength from her Bible and is set to fulfil her dreams of becoming an athlete. You can sponsor a child today and bring hope to a child in need like Kenia.
Bible verses For Hard Times
If you’re looking for the best encouraging Bible verses to help you through the hard times, here’s a collection of our favourite words of encouragement to help you discover our mighty God afresh.
- Psalm 28:6-7 “Praise be to the LORD for He has heard my cry for mercy. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him.”
- Hebrews 12:1-3 “Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.”
- Psalm 46:1-3 “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.”
- Isaiah 40:31 “…but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.”
- 1 Chronicles 16:11 “Look to the LORD and his strength; seek his face always.”
- 2 Timothy 4:17 “But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it.”
- Philippians 4:13 “I can do all this through him who gives me strength.”
- Psalm 118:14 “The LORD is my strength and my defence; he has become my salvation.”
Bible verses about hope
When all seems hopeless, God’s message about our future can deeply encourage us. The Bible is full of scripture about hope and it’s good to be reminded from time to time of the hope that God offers to us.
- Psalm 62:5-8 “Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from him. Truly he is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I shall not be shaken. My salvation and my honour depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.”
- Hebrews 11:1 “Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.”
- Hebrews 6:19 “We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure.”
- Romans 12:9-12 “Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in love. Honour one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervour, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.”
- Hebrews 10:23 “Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful.”
- Romans 15:13 “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.”
Uplifting Bible verses
We all need to be lifted up and encouraged at times and these encouraging Biblical verses are filled with hope, comfort and inspiration. We hope these scriptures will lift your spirits today.
- 2 Corinthians 12:10 “That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”
- Psalm 16:8 “I keep my eyes always on the LORD. With him at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.”
- Jeremiah 29:11-13 “’For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the LORD, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.’”
- Luke 1:37 “For no word from God will ever fail.”
- Nahum 1:7 “The LORD is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him.”
- 1 Corinthians 15:58 “Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labour in the Lord is not in vain.”
Motivational Bible verses
When you’re facing a challenge, the Word of God can lift your spirits and give you a fresh start. God’s strength and renewal can help us face our fears and achieve the impossible.
- John 16:33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
- Philippians 3:13-14 “Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.”
- Ezra 10:4 “Rise up … take courage and do it.”
- Romans 12:2 “Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is – his good, pleasing and perfect will.”
- Hebrews 13:5 “God has said, ‘Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.’”
If you love these encouraging Bible verses, why not share them with your friends? You may also be interested in reading about Bible verses about giving, or:
- Bible verses about children
- Father’s Day Bible verses
- Bible verses about love
- Easter Bible verses
- Bible verses for Christmas cards
- 5 Power Prayers for Climate Change
Sources: Bible Gateway