Christian words of encouragement from the Bible
God has given us the gift of His word which provides us with encouraging Bible verses and beautiful friendship quotes. The Bible passages below will offer Christian inspiration for each day and provide encouragement to cope with life’s challenges allowing you to rest in God’s promises. We can also be comforted by these Bible verses about strength.
Why not use these verses to bless and inspire others?
Our encouraging Bible verses and inspirational Bible quotes are taken from the NIV version of the Bible.
Encouraging Bible verses
If you’re feeling overwhelmed and need some encouragement, these Bible verses about faith will give you courage and confidence. Why not meditate on these Scriptures throughout the day and share them with your friends?
- 1 Thessalonians 2:11-12 “For you know that we dealt with each of you as a father deals with his own children, encouraging, comforting and urging you to live lives worthy of God, who calls you into his kingdom and glory.”
- Philippians 1:6 “…being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.”
- Psalm 37:23-24 “The LORD makes firm the steps of the one who delights in him; though he may stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with his hand.”
- Hebrews 10:24-25 “And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.”
- Luke 12:32 “Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom.”
Inspirational Bible verses
People will be inspired by different things, but we can agree that God Himself is our inspirational source because He is the basis for everything good and everything worth imitating. These inspirational Bible quotes can bring you guidance when times are tough.
- Philippians 4:7 “And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
- Deuteronomy 31:6 “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”
- 2 Corinthians 5:7 “For we live by faith, not by sight.”
- Psalm 23: 5-6 “You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.”
- 1 John 4:4 “You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.”
Bible verses about strength
When you’re feeling weak, where do you turn for strength? Kenia has been in a race against poverty, illiteracy, failure and neglect her whole life. She and her two brothers were cared for by their grandmother in a slum in the Philippines.
But Kenia became part of Compassion’s child development programme and, thanks to her sponsor, she found that life might offer a different path. Today, aged 17, Kenia draws strength from her Bible and is set to fulfil her dreams of becoming an athlete. You can sponsor a child today and bring hope to a child in need like Kenia.
- Ephesians 6:10 “Finally, be strengthened by the Lord and his powerful strength.”
- John 15:4 “Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.”
Bible verses for hard times
If you’re looking for the best encouraging Bible verses to help you through the hard times and look ahead to eternal life, here’s a collection of our favourite words of encouragement to help you discover our mighty God afresh. There are several Bible verses about peace that can provide comfort during difficult times.
- Psalm 31:1-2 “In you, Lord, I have taken refuge; let me never be put to shame; deliver me in your righteousness. Turn your ear to me, come quickly to my rescue; be my rock of refuge, a strong fortress to save me.”
- Psalm 46:1-3 “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.”
- Isaiah 40:31 “…but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.”
- Philippians 4:13 “I can do all this through him who gives me strength.”
- Psalm 118:14 “The LORD is my strength and my defence; he has become my salvation.”
- Joshua 1:9 “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.
- Isaiah 41:10 “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
Bible verses about confidence in the future
When all seems hopeless, God’s message about our future can deeply encourage us. The Bible is full of Bible verses about hope the Lord Jesus brings and it’s good to be reminded from time to time of the hope that God offers to us.
- Hebrews 11:1 “Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.”
- Hebrews 6:19 “We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure.”
- Romans 15:13 “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.”
- John 14: 1-4 “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going.”
Uplifting Bible verses
We all need to be lifted up and encouraged in times of trouble. In fact, there are several Bible verses about helping others. So why not share these encouraging Biblical verses filled with hope, comfort and inspiration with a friend or family member. We hope these scriptures will lift your spirits today.
- 2 Corinthians 12:10 “That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”
- Psalm 16:8 “I keep my eyes always on the LORD. With him at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.”
- Jeremiah 29:11-13 “’For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the LORD, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.’”
- 1 Corinthians 15:58 “Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labour in the Lord is not in vain.”
- Matthew 6:8 “Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.”
- James 1:17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.
Motivational Bible verses
When you’re facing a challenge, the Word of God can lift your spirits and give you a fresh start. God’s strength and renewal can help us face our fears and achieve the impossible.
- John 16:33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
- Hebrews 13:5 “God has said, ‘Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.’”
- 2 Timothy 1:7 “For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.”
- Galatians 6:9 “Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.”
Encouraging Bible verses for those experiencing anxiety
During times of worry, stress or anxiety there are many Bible verses about giving comfort to those in need. God cares even for the sparrows, how much more does He care for you.
- 1 Peter 5:6–7 “Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time He may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on Him, because He cares for you.”
- Psalm 34:4 “I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.”
- Matthew 11:28 “Come to Me, all you who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.”
- Psalm 121:2 “My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.”
If you love these encouraging Bible verses, why not share them with your friends? You may also be interested in;
- Bible verses about children
- Father’s Day Bible verses
- Bible verses about love
- Easter Bible verses
- Bible verses for Christmas cards
- 5 Power Prayers for Climate Change
Sources: Bible Gateway