Bible Verses for Strength and Courage
The Bible is full of inspirational and challenging verses on strength and courage to inspire us. During tough times, the world encourages us to “dig deep” when tired and overwhelmed to escape our difficulties.
But the Bible encourages us that, instead of looking inward to ourselves, we should look upward to God and the example of our Lord Jesus Christ to help us through.
From Corinthians to Isaiah to Deuteronomy, God’s word has much to say about strength.
The following verses from the Bible make it clear. Our strength comes from God. He is our refuge in difficult times. He will not leave or forsake us but is with us always. His strength can be made perfect through our weakness.
Let’s spend some time looking at these bible verses on strength and what it means for us to stay strong.
All of these thankful Bible verses are taken from the NIV version of the Bible.
Bible verses about strength
- Isaiah 40:29-31 – He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
- Deuteronomy 31:6 – Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.
- Joshua 1:9 – Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.
- Psalm 46:1-3 – God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.
The Lord is My Strength
- Exodus 15:2 – “The Lord is my strength and my defence; he has become my salvation. He is my God, and I will praise him, my father’s God, and I will exalt him.
- Philippians 4:12-13 – I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
- Habakkuk 3:19 – The Sovereign Lord is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to tread on the heights.
- Proverbs 18:10 – The name of the Lord is a fortified tower; the righteous run to it and are safe.
Scripture on Strength in Difficult Times
- Psalm 9:9-10 –The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. Those who know your name trust in you, for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you.
- Psalm 119:28 – My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word.
- 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 – But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
- 1 Peter 5:10 – And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.
When you’re feeling tired and overwhelmed, where do you turn for strength? At only 10 years old, Mawulom is no stranger to hardship. His father, left blind due to an accident at his work, was unable to support the family financially. It was shortly after when his mother, Ami, became gravely ill. Unable to afford the expensive treatment necessary, the family opted for herbal remedies instead. The outlook was bleak.
“I was afraid my mother would die,” says Mawulom
Terrified they’d lose Ami, Mawulom and his family found help at his local Compassion project in Togo, and solace in verses about strength from the Bible. Ami was admitted to hospital for three months, and the fees covered by Compassion. The project also provided food kits for the family and supported Mawulom emotionally and spiritually through the ordeal.
Bienvenue, Mawulom’s elder sister says, “Without the help of the project, my mother would have died. We were left alone, nobody else could care for us. They have saved my mother.”
Mawulom and his family are not only grateful to the project; they’re also thankful for Mawulom’s sponsors. “Every morning, he reads the scriptures in his Bible and prays for his sponsors,” says Ami.
“May God bless my sponsors for their love and care for us,” says Mawulom. “I pray that God rewards them abundantly.”
Where Does Our Strength Come From?
- Jeremiah 29:11-12 – For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.
- Nehemiah 8:10 – Nehemiah said, “Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, and send some to those who have nothing prepared. This day is holy to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.”
- 2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 – May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word.
- Ephesians 3:14-19 – For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
Bible verse of the day about strength
- Isaiah 12:2 – Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The Lord, the Lord himself, is my strength and my defence; he has become my salvation.
- Isaiah 41:10 – So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
- 1 Chronicles 16:11 – Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14 – Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. Do everything in love.
Whatever we’re facing today, let’s hold on to these truths. God is our salvation. In our weakness, the Lord is strong, and we are to seek his face always.
If you have found solace in God’s word today, here are more helpful bible verses to encourage you: