The promises of God
As Christians we know from Genesis, to Peter, Hebrews to Revelation the Bible is full of God’s promises and His Word reminds us that He is faithful. Let this powerful list of God’s promises teach you more about His incredible character. Reflect on this rich collection of promise quotes to help you in whatever you’re facing today. Take encouragement from the truth that God is with you.
As scripture says in Corinthians 1:20, we can take heart because “For no matter how many promises God has made, they are “Yes” in Christ. And so through him the “Amen” is spoken by us to the glory of God.”
The following God’s promises Bible verses are taken from the NIV version of the Bible.
Bible promises about God’s goodness
When things get tough, it can be easy to focus on ourselves and our difficulties. Read these Bible promises about who God is and let them lift your eyes away from your own situation to the God who is infinitely good. Bible verses about peace can remind us of the peace that God has promised us in the midst of any circumstance.
- Psalm 145:9 The Lord is good to all; he has compassion on all he has made.
- Isaiah 26:3 You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.
- 1 Chronicles 16:34 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever.
- Psalm 100:5 For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations.
- James 1:17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.
- 2 Samuel 7:28 Sovereign Lord, you are God! Your covenant is trustworthy, and you have promised these good things to your servant.
- Psalm 19:7 The law of the Lord is perfect, refreshing the soul. The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple.
- Psalm 34:8 Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.
- Nahum 1:7 The Lord is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him.
- Psalm 84:11 For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows favour and honour; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless.
- Isaiah 54:10 “Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed,” says the LORD, who has compassion on you.
- Ephesians 3:20-21 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
God’s promises about being with us
Whether we’re on top of the world, or in the midst of trial, like King David in Psalm 119 we can call on God to fulfill His promises, “Sustain me, my God, according to your promise, and I will live; do not let my hopes be dashed.”
Whatever you’re facing, hold onto these scriptures on hope in the Bible and the promise that God is with you in your individual situation. Remember the time in the Bible when God gave Noah a rainbow as a sign that God keeps his promises. As He was faithful to Noah, He will be faithful to you.
- Isaiah 40:29 He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.
- Isaiah 40:31 But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
- Isaiah 41:10 So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
- Isaiah 43:2 When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.
- Jeremiah 29:11 ‘For I know the plans I have for you’, declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
- Deuteronomy 31:8 The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.
- Joshua 1:9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.
- Psalm 23:4 Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
- Philippians 4:6-7 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
- John 1:12 -13 Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.
The promises of God about provision
The Bible is full of examples of God providing for His people. Time and again, the God of life promises to provide whether our need is land, food, shelter, comfort or hope. Reflect on all the times when God has provided for you using our Gratitude Journal.
- Matthew 6:31-33 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
- Proverbs 3:5-6 “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.”
- Matthew 7:9-11 Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!
- 2 Corinthians 9:8 And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.
- Psalm 34:10 The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing.
- Romans 8:39 No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- John 5:24 Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life.
- James 4:7 Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
- 2 Thessalonians 1:7 And God will provide rest for you who are being persecuted and also for us when the Lord Jesus appears from heaven.
You can provide for a child in poverty
God promises to give us everything we need in our daily lives. What’s more, He also calls us to show that love and care to others. One way you can show God’s kindness is by reaching out and sponsoring a child living in poverty.
You can provide a vulnerable child with vital healthcare, education and nutritious meals. Sponsor a child like Richmond and send them to school and show them the love of a local church.
Amazing things Jesus promised
During His time on earth, Jesus made many promises about the peace and hope He offers us. This collection of Jesus’ promises gives us great hope that He truly is the Saviour of the world.
- Matthew 11:28-30 Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.
- John 14:6 Jesus answered, ‘I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.’
- John 8:12 I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.
- Isaiah 61:1 The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners …
- John 14:15-16 “If you love me, keep my commands. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever.”
- John 10:10 “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.”
- John 11:25 Jesus told her, ‘I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying.’
- John 15:5 Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing.
- Matthew 28:20 Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.
- John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
- John 14:1-3 Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.
God’s promises about answering prayer
Prayer is so powerful! Reflect on these Bible verses about prayer and let God’s promises spur you on to pray to your Heavenly Father and share your hopes and needs with Him today.
- James 1:5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.
- Mark 11:24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.
- Psalm 37:4 Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.
- John 14:13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.
- Luke 11:9-13 So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!
- Jeremiah 29:12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.
- Psalm 102:17 He will respond to the prayer of the destitute; he will not despise their plea.
- Psalm 145:18 The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth.
God’s promises about salvation
God saves and protects us in our day-to-day life. In Exodus we see the example of God promising to save the Israelites from the hands of the Egyptians. In Exodus 5:6-8 God makes promises to Moses, “Therefore, say to the Israelites: ‘I am the Lord, and I will bring you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians. I will free you from being slaves to them, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with mighty acts of judgment. I will take you as my own people, and I will be your God. Then you will know that I am the Lord your God, who brought you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians. And I will bring you to the land I swore with uplifted hand to give to Abraham, to Isaac and to Jacob. I will give it to you as a possession. I am the Lord.’” And he kept his promise, finally bringing them to the promised land of Israel.
But moreover, God promises to give us eternal salvation. Take a moment to remember the most precious of all God’s promises to us. Thanks to Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross, God promises to forgive us and give us eternal life with Him.
- John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
- 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
- 2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
- John 8:36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.
- Romans 10:9-10 If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.
- 1 Peter 1:3-4 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for you.
- Colossians 3:24 Knowing that of the Lord you shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for you serve the Lord Christ.
- Ephesians 2:8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God.
- Galatians 3:29 If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.
You may also be interested in the following based on God’s Word: