Uplifting scriptures on peace
In this time of unprecedented uncertainty, we’ve collected together some of our favourite Bible verses about peace to remind us of the surety and hope we find in Christ.
All of these Bible verses about peace are taken from the NIV.
John 14:27: “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you”
Time and again in the Bible, Jesus explains how He came to bring us peace. Just before his death, Jesus shares with his disciples:
• John 14:27 “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”
• John 16:33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
It’s incredible to think that just before he was crucified, Jesus was focused on bringing joy and peace to His followers. To quote John Piper, “He is about to be tortured to death with one of the most horrific means of torture ever devised, and his burden was to solidify in the souls of his followers peace and joy and faith.”
John 14:27 reminds us that Jesus wants His followers to have the kind of unshakeable peace that only comes from God, not the world. Whatever you’re facing let this truth bring you great comfort.
Then John 16:33 reassures us that even though we face trials and difficulties in this world, Jesus has overcome them. Ultimately, He has overcome death, we have nothing to fear.
John 20:19: Peace be with you
It’s wonderful to remember that when Jesus appeared to His disciples after the resurrection, He also repeatedly assures them that He is giving them His peace.
• John 20:19-22 On the evening of that first day of the week, when the disciples were together, with the doors locked for fear of the Jewish leaders, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!” After he said this, he showed them his hands and side. The disciples were overjoyed when they saw the Lord. Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.” And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit.
When the disciples are in the midst of great fear and uncertainty, Jesus brings them peace. Twice he says, “Peace be with you!”. Because of the peace Jesus offers, our hearts don’t need to be troubled or afraid.
What’s more, eight days later when Thomas joins the other disciples, Jesus shares the reassurance again, saying “Peace be with you” (John. 20:26).
• Galatians 5:22-23 “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.”
This passage on the fruits of the spirit reminds us that when we have the Holy Spirit within us, we can know the peace of God. The more we come to walk with His Spirit, the more we will know His perfect peace.
• Colossians 3:15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.
Paul’s letter to the Colossians encourages us to be of one mind and to be at peace with our brothers and sisters in Christ.
1 Peter 5:7
• 1 Peter 5:7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
We weren’t made to carry life’s burdens alone. Take a moment today to give your worries and your burdens over to Christ. Remember Jesus’ promise, “For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:30)
• Psalm 29:11 The Lord gives strength to his people; the Lord blesses his people with peace.
This peace quote is part of a hymn of praise to God for his awesome power. You’ll notice when you dive into this psalm that a thunderstorm serves as a symbol of God’s majestic voice. Verse 11 tells us that those who trust in the Lord will be blessed with peace.
• Philippians 4:7 “And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
In this Bible verse about peace, Paul echoes Jesus’ teaching on the sermon on the mount – We don’t need to be anxious, because we can trust that the peace we have in Christ will guard us. Paul may also be reflecting here on his own imprisonment when he says God’s peace will “guard” us. It’s worth rejoicing that it’s not Roman soldiers who guard the followers of God, it’s the peace of God almighty.
Quotes about peace in the Old Testament
It’s a real comfort to remind ourselves of Jesus’ teaching about peace, and the Old Testament is also full of assurances that our God gives us peace and joy. Let these verses about the peace of God refresh you today.
• Proverbs 12:20 “Deceit is in the hearts of those who plot evil, but those who promote peace have joy.”
• Psalm 34:14 “Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it.”
• Psalm 85:8 “ I will listen to what God the Lord says; he promises peace to his people, his faithful servants— but let them not turn to folly.”
• Psalm 119:165 “Great peace have those who love your law, and nothing can make them stumble.”
• Isaiah 9:6 “For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.”
• Isaiah 26:3 “You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.
• Isaiah 26:12 “LORD, you establish peace for us; all that we have accomplished you have done for us.”
Share the peace of God with a child in poverty
During this season of great challenges, you can bring a child living in the vulnerability of poverty greater peace and security by becoming a child sponsor.
For those who live in extreme poverty, everything about COVID-19 is magnified: the risk, the fear, the uncertainty, the life-and-death realities. Children and families living in poverty are the most vulnerable in every way. They have no safety net.
“The need is huge as this pandemic has hit the poorest of the poor the hardest,” shares Sidney Muisyo, Head of Global Programme. “Sponsorship donations are giving children and their families critical necessities like food, clean water, shelter, clothing, hygiene and sanitation items. And medical care and trauma counselling. Your support is vital in this season, so I invite you to sponsor a child and help us to extend this care to another child in need
World peace Bible quotes
The Bible also encourages us to be vessels of peace to the world. We’ve gathered together these helpful peace scriptures that inspire us to have peace in our relationships with one another.
• James 3:18 Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness.
• Romans 12: 18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.
• Romans 14:19 Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification.
• Psalm 37:37 Consider the blameless, observe the upright; a future awaits those who seek peace.
• Psalm 119:165 Great peace have those who love your law, and nothing can make them stumble.
• Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
• Mark 9:50 “Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can you make it salty again? Have salt among yourselves, and be at peace with each other.”
Prayers for peace
Here is a collection of peace prayers that you can use in your devotional times. Why not find some quiet space to meditate on these peace scriptures and ask God to give you His perfect peace. You may also find these prayer journaling templates to be a helpful aid.
A prayer for peace
Father God, I lay my burdens and cares at your feet and I pray for your peace today. I thank you that I can rest in your grace. I praise you that I do not need to carry life’s burdens myself, that ultimately you made a way for me to be fully at peace with my Heavenly Father by what you did on the cross for me.
Father where I am worried, bring your peace.
Where I am struggling, bring your peace.
Where I cannot rest, bring your peace.
Where I am afraid, bring your peace.
Where I am stressed, bring your peace.
In Jesus’ name. Amen
Prayers for the world today
Father God I pray for your perfect peace to reign in our world. I pray that where there is violence, struggle and division you would bring unity and restore relationships. I pray that I would be a better listener, hearing and gaining understanding with those who are different to me.
I also pray for those living amidst violence and conflict, particularly children who are living in warzone. Father, I cry out for their protection. I pray you would bring change, peace and resolution in places where there has been longstanding conflict. In Jesus’ name, Amen
Prayer for world peace
Lord God, I pray that you would bring your peace to our troubled world. Where there are nations divided, bring your reconciliation. Where there is conflict, I pray, bring your resolution. I praise you that you are the one who heals divides. I thank you that one day you will restore all things. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
Prayer for peace of mind
Heavenly Father, where my mind is troubled, I pray you would bring your peace. I pray that I would be able to be still and know that you are God. I thank you that I can lay my burdens at the foot of the cross. Amen.
If you’ve enjoyed the Bible verses about peace, you may also be interested in: