Bible verses about giving tell us so much about the God we love. God loves to give to us, and Romans 6:23 reminds us that we’ve received the ultimate gift, the perfect gift, from Him ‘the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.’ He deserves our praises.
He loves when we give to others, and as the body of Jesus Christ, we’re called to give with a generous heart. Explore these Scriptures about giving and let God’s generosity fill your heart to overflowing.
Let these Bible verses about giving to others help you get to know God better.
What Bible verses are about giving?
You could say the whole Bible is about giving. Jesus Christ is God’s ultimate gift of love to us. Here, we’ve collected some beautiful Bible verses about giving to others. We hope you’ll find them inspiring, comforting and challenging.
- Matthew 10:42 And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones who is my disciple, truly I tell you, that person will certainly not lose their reward.
- Matthew 10:8b Freely you have received; freely give.
- Luke 12:34 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
- Proverbs 25:21 If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat; if he is thirsty, give him water to drink.
- Luke 3:11 John answered, “Anyone who has two shirts should share with the one who has none, and anyone who has food should do the same.”
- Hebrews 13:15-16: Therefore, let us offer through Jesus a continual sacrifice of praise to God, proclaiming our allegiance to his name. And don’t forget to do good and to share with those in need. These are the sacrifices that please God.
- Matthew 25:35-40 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you? The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
- James 1:17 Whatever is good and perfect is a gift coming down to us from God our Father, who created all the lights in the heavens. He never changes or casts a shifting shadow.
What Bible verses talk about generosity?
Bible verses about generosity fill the Scriptures. God is endlessly generous to us, and we’re called to enter His presence with thanksgiving and His courts with praise. Generosity is His nature. He also promises blessings when we show His generosity to others.
- 2 Corinthians 9:6 Remember this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously.
- Deuteronomy 15:10 Give generously to them and do so without a grudging heart; then because of this the Lord your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to.
- Psalm 37:21 The wicked borrow and do not repay, but the righteous give generously.
- 1 Chronicles 29:14 But who am I, and who are my people, that we should be able to give as generously as this? Everything comes from you, and we have given you only what comes from your hand.
- 2 Corinthians 9:11 You will be enriched in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.
- Luke 21:1-4 As Jesus looked up, he saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. “Truly I tell you,” he said, “this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.”
“I remember, even as a child, being aware of being how poor we were, which is why I’ll never forget the best birthday gift I’ve ever received.
My mum was so excited to hand me a wrapped gift. And I was so happy I opened it immediately and I saw the best dress I’ve ever seen.
Instead of saying thank you, I asked my mum how much she spent on it because I did not want them to spend all of our money for food on this gift for me. But my mother said, “Amor, your sponsor Aaron, sent you money for a birthday gift.
I loved that dress. I was so proud to have something so nice that I wore that dress when I was honoured as the top student in my third-grade class.
That gift made me feel a sense of self-worth that matched what I was always told by pastor and Compassion teachers. They always reminded me, ‘You have a beautiful future ahead of you. You have hope ahead of you because God has a beautiful plan for your life.'”
By sponsoring a child with Compassion UK, you come alongside a local church to provide life-changing support for children just like Amor.
Bible verses about the benefits of giving
Giving in the Bible is not a one-way transaction. When we give to others, we open our hearts to receive gifts ourselves. These Bible verses about giving explore the benefits of generosity.
- Proverbs 18:16 A gift opens the way and ushers the giver into the presence of the great.
- Proverbs 19:17 Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will reward them for what they have done.
- Luke 6:38 Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
- Psalm 37:4 Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.
- Proverbs 28:27a Those who give to the poor will lack nothing,
- Proverbs 11:25 A generous person will prosper; whoever refreshes others will be refreshed.
- 2 Corinthians 9:10-11 Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness. You will be enriched in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.
- Malachi 3:10 Bring all the tithes into the storehouse so there will be enough food in my Temple. If you do,” says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies, “I will open the windows of heaven for you. I will pour out a blessing so great you won’t have enough room to take it in! Try it! Put me to the test!
- Matthew 6:19-21 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
Bible verses about deciding to give
Giving is a decision we make every day. Let these Bible verses about giving guide and inspire you as you think and pray about giving to others.
- James 2:15-16 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it?
- 2 Corinthians 9:7 Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
- Deuteronomy 16:17 Each of you must bring a gift in proportion to the way the Lord your God has blessed you.
- 2 Corinthians 8:12 For if the willingness is there, the gift is acceptable according to what one has, not according to what one does not have.
- Proverbs 3:27 Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act.
- Matthew 6:1-4 “Watch out! Don’t do your good deeds publicly, to be admired by others, for you will lose the reward from your Father in heaven. When you give to the needy, don’t do as the hypocrites do—blowing trumpets in the synagogues and streets to call attention to their acts of charity! I tell you the truth, they have received all the reward they will ever get. But when you give to someone in need, don’t let your left hand know what your right hand is doing. Give your gifts in private, and your Father, who sees everything, will reward you.
- Matthew 5:42 Give to those who ask, and don’t turn away from those who want to borrow.
If you’ve been inspired and would like to give right now, you can empower a child and break the cycle of poverty.
Please sponsor a child today.
If you’ve enjoyed these Bible verses about giving, you may also like:
- 28 Thankful Bible Verses to Encourage You
- 27 Birthday Bible Verses that You can Share as a Gift
- 37 Encouraging Bible Verses to Inspire You with Hope and Strength
- 50 Powerful Bible Promises to Build Your Faith
- 25 Bible Verses about Children
- Why Help People in Other Countries When There’s Poverty in the UK?
Sources: Bible Gateway