We‚Äôre celebrating World Baking Day with some delicious, and most importantly, simple-to-make treats with thanks from our friends at Compassion Canada. So get your family together and try this easy recipe! Enjoy these treats and take time to reflect on Psalm 34:8 ‚ÄúTaste and see that the Lord is good.‚ÄĚ
These coconut kisses, or besitos de coco, are a favourite treat in Spanish-speaking Caribbean islands such as the Dominican Republic.
We hope you enjoy this five-step treat as much as the sponsored children in our projects do.
Besitos de Coco Ingredients
This recipe makes approximately 24 macaroons
- 3 cups of desiccated coconut
- 1 cup of plain flour
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup of caster sugar
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. almond or vanilla extract
- Melted chocolate for drizzling (optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 180 0c (160 0c fan) or gas mark 4.
2. Line and grease a baking sheet.
3. In a bowl, mix all the ingredients to form a dough.
4. Divide the dough into 24 balls.
5. Space the balls out on the baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Once cool, drizzle with chocolate for an extra treat.
While you enjoy your coconut kisses, read and reflect on this verse as a family: ‚ÄúTaste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.‚ÄĚ ‚ÄĒ Psalm 34:8
This Psalm, or ‚Äėhymn‚Äô, was written by King David - yes, the very same David who defeated Goliath with God‚Äôs help and a few stones and a sling! You can find this story back in 1 Samuel 17.
In this Psalm, David invites us to experience what he has discovered. God loves and cares for us all as individuals and wants what‚Äôs best for us. David knows first-hand how God has cared for him. He has evidence of how God delivered him from Goliath.
God wants to bless us, and He wants us to turn to him when we come up against difficulties, or giants, in our own lives. But He also wants us to praise Him and turn to Him when we‚Äôre celebrating, and life‚Äôs going really well.
- Where have you experienced God‚Äôs goodness recently?
- How can you share His goodness with others?
- What step will you take today to put that into action?
Lord, thank you for the many blessings you‚Äôve given us. Help us to share those blessings with those around us today as we taste and see that You, above all things, are good. Amen.
Looking for more fun activities? Find out more and teach your family about the countries where Compassion works.
MORE FUN FAMILY ACTIVITIES