Update: Earthquake in Haiti: Pray With Us
Following Saturdayâ€™s earthquake, schools remain closed, and people are still anxious as they continue to experience multiple aftershocks and heavy rain.
The latest news from our Haitian staff is that 774 Compassion-supported children have been impacted. Tragically, weâ€™ve heard that that several Compassion-supported children lost siblings in the earthquake. Our staff are providing post-trauma counselling to those children experiencing bereavement.
Our local church partners continue to provide emergency relief, including temporary shelters for families who have lost or had their home damaged. In the next few days they will begin assessing school and project buildings so classes can resume as quickly as soon as possible.
Please continue to lift the nation of Haiti in your prayers. Pray for:
- Godâ€™s loving arms to surround those mourning the loss of loved ones.
- Protection from further aftershocks and for those impacted to know a sense of peace.
- Our local church partners as they continue to care and minister to their communities.
9 October 2018
On Saturday, a magnitude 5.9 earthquake struck near Port-de-Paix in Northern Haiti. Tragically the quake was followed by an aftershock of similar strength on Sunday. At least 12 people have died and 200 have been injured.
Local hospitals are providing care, and government officials, along with civilians, are searching for those missing. Most families have been staying outside their homes, but heavy rains have complicated the situation.
Our Haitian staff are currently working with our church partners near Port-de-Paix to assess the impact to Compassion-supported children and families.Â
Compassion has partnered with more than a hundred local churches in this area over the last 45 years. Initial reports estimate that more than 200Â children are affected, although we're still waiting for specific details. We know for certain that 60 Compassion-supported children have been impacted by the earthquake.
The Haitian Compassion office are using Disaster Funds to provide children with water, meals, medicine and counselling. Our staff are working round the clock to ensure children are receiving the care they need.Â
Be assured, we'll be in touch directly if we hear news that your sponsored child has been affected.
How you can pray for the Haiti earthquakeÂ
Please join us and share a prayer for those who have suffered trauma and loss following the weekend's tragic events.
Please pray for:
- Those who have lost homes or loved ones. Ask for God's provision and comfort.
- The teams leadingÂ the search efforts. May they be given great strength and wisdom.
- Healing for those who've been injured in this disaster.
- Compassion's church partners in the area. Ask that they would be a source of great hope and support toÂ local families.Â
Discover more about our work in Haiti